Tuesday, March 22, 2011

How to Find Famous Restaurant Recipes


A few years ago I was traveling with my husband in Colorado. We stopped at a restaurant for dinner and had the best Chicken Marsala I've ever eaten. It was so good that I ended up asking for the recipe, knowing that chances were great that I'd never make it back out to this restaurant again. Unfortunately the owner refused to share the recipe. A few weeks later we were back home and I found myself craving that chicken again. So off to the web I went in search of a recipe that would come as close as possible to that of this little Italian restaurant in Colorado. During this search I first came across so called copycat recipes. There are plenty of resources online to help you recreate almost any famous restaurant recipe.

The next question is of course how to go about finding those recipes. Here are my favorite ways to do it.

My first choice is usually to go to Google and type in the name of the dish and if applicable the name of the restaurant and then recipe. Sometimes it helps to also add copycat. An example of a search would be "Outback Steakhouse Coconut Shrimp Recipe" or Outback Steakhouse Coconut Shrimp Copycat Recipe". Both of those should give you plenty of recipes to try.

Another way to find these recipes is to head to your local bookstore or library. Volumes of recipes have been written on just the topic of recreating your favorite restaurant dishes. And it doesn't end there. I've come across books that explain how to make your own twinkies and the likes at home.

Last but not least there are recipe communities on the web that are a great source of information when you're trying to recreate your favorite dish. Places like CDKitchen and AllRecipes are great places to look. What I like about them is the fact that you can comment and ask questions about these recipes.

Once you have a few recipes that look good, get cooking and give them a try. Don't be too disappointed if the end result doesn't taste exactly like your favorite dish at first. Sometimes it takes a little bit of tweaking before you get it just right. Ask for suggestions or advice in your favorite cooking or recipe community and before you know it you'll have a recipe you'll love.








Here are two of my favorite copycat restaurant recipes. Give them a try and let me know what you think. Feel free to leave a comment at http://hubpages.com/hub/Copycat-Restaurant-Recipes with any questions you may have on those two dishes or to leave a request of a favorite dish of yours that you'd like to find a recipe for.


No comments:

Post a Comment