Saturday, October 2, 2010

One Pot Meals: Lamb Stew w/ Cippolini Onions

When I was signing up for the Marin Sun Farms meat club, the membership allows the buyer to opt out of receiving one meat. The choices were lamb, goat and pork. Opting out of pork was not even a thought. So it was between lamb or goat. I’m not a big fan of lamb. I’ve tried to eat it on several occasions, but it usually it just way too gamey for me. But I like goat even less, so I opted to not receive it. The first delivery box comes and there is a package of lamb stew meat and lamb sirloin. I contacted my friend to see if he wanted to take the lamb packages and explained to him my (and my boyfriend’s) dislike for the meat . He said that Marin Sun Farms carries a very yummy breed of lamb and that I should at least try it before I give it away. That sounded reasonable.

So one cold Sunday afternoon I picked up some cipollini onions, carrots and red potatoes from the market and went back home to give it a try. For the stew I used the basic method just like in beef stew. Diced tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth and dry red wine (this time I used Raven’s Wood Pino Noir), simmering it for 2 hours with the lamb meat and added the veggies at the end and simmered for another 30 minutes. To go with the stew I cooked up some wild rice using beef broth instead of plain water for a tastier affect. The end result was pure delicious, tummy warming bliss. And guess what? Me and my boyfriend LOVED the lamb!! It was delicious, tender, flavorful and not at all gamey.

Marin Sun Farms raises Navajo-Churro Sheep. Unlike the ultra gamey lamb that is commonly found being imported from Australia, the Navajo-Churro lamb that we feasted on was sweet and had a very “clean” taste. I’d highly recommend it to anyone who is having a difficult time eating lamb.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment